Friday, March 25, 2016

Week 9 Storytelling: Spilling Secret to the Bartender

It was a beautiful Saturday evening, Chitra entered “The Elephant Bar” few blocks away from her mansion in Manipur. She was dresses as usual, like a warrior. There was something missing in her today. It was her smile and her weapons.
She walked straight to the bar counter, sat on the stool and asked for a Manipurian whiskey on the rock.
Mani, the bartender of the elephant bar was shocked at what he just heard because Chitra is known all over the kingdom for her preaching against drinking. However, he could not question Chitra, she is the princess of the kingdom. He presented her the drink.
There was a pin drop silence in the bar beside the music that was playing in the speakers.
Chitra ordered for another glass of the whiskey.
Yet again, there was no conversation between any of them.
One after other it was the tenth glass of whiskey for Chitra. The only words that stroke the wall of the bar till this time was Chitra’s voice saying another one.
**After the tenth glass of whiskey, Chitra to Mani**
You know that one day when I was on my daily tour to the forest of Manipur, I saw him and fell in love with him. Arjuna, the love of my life, my one and only one. As fast as I fell in love with the man of my dreams he rejected me for the way I am. Do you see this warrior’s suit that I am wearing? This was the same suit I had on that day and because of this he rejected my love. I prayed to the god to grant me a day of beauty and feminism that I did not have on me. The god granted me with a year of beauty. I then again approached Arjuna. This time it was the way I wanted it to be. He fell in love with me. He wanted me despite of his 12 years of chastity. He did not care about what would happen to him because of his actions because of me. He was so deep in love with me. We made love with each other and shared an ultimate connection with each other for a year after I was granted the boon. I lived my life as I had never thought it would be with Arjuna. I got pregnant. I did not know about it till the last day when my boon would end. I could not resist and pour the truth about me to Arjuna. He accepted me regardless of the fact that I was the same person that he rejected a day ago when I first approached him. But it was time for him to leave to complete his chastity. It has been a two years since he has been gone. I wish I could see him. I miss him. I miss my Arjuna. I miss the love of my life. I miss you Arjuna!!! I miss you!
** Chitra then walks outside the bar **

Secret
Source:Link



Author’s Note:
In the book Chitra by Rabindranath Tagore it talks about Chitra, daughter of king of Manipur. This story covers the life of Chitra and her love and affection shared with Arjuna during the 12 years of chastity. Chitra was born a girl but lived life of a man. She was a warrior and a prince protecting the kingdom of Manipur. She dressed as a warrior and didn’t have any feminism or idea of feminism in her mind. She falls in love with Arjuna and then has the secret relationship with him because of his chastity. She even gets pregnant by Arjuna at the end of the story. This week I retold the story in a bar setting. I hope you enjoy this story.
Bibliography: Story title> Chitra
book title> CHITRA
author> Rabindranath Tagore

year of publication> 1913

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shristi,

    What a funs storytelling setting! I think that the premise of Chitra being very sad about Arjuna allowed the bar scene to be a wonderful fit for this story. This story makes me feel sad for Chitra. All she wants in life is to be a normal girl and marry her "one true love," but it just is not possible. Thanks for the read and great job!

    ReplyDelete