Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Overview: Let's get started

For the readings, I have decided to go with the PDE Ramayana version. One of the main reasons is because I can access it online from anywhere. I can go over the stories whenever I find little breaks between classes and the fact that it has audio version is even more better. I am better with visual aid and I carry my laptop everywhere with me.

I have never taken a class that primarily focuses on specific epics. I think this is a great class to just learn more about ancient Indian stories. I come from a Hindu family and I grew up worshiping Lord Rama and Sita. Rama is just one of the versions of Lord Vishnu. He known for his kindness and all the good deeds he did. I think the major take for me from Ramayana is knowing the importance of relationships. The way Rama loved his brother Lakshmana, and his wife Sita is inspiring. The relationship between Hanuman and Rama is remarkable. The way Hanuman fights for Rama and gets victory over Ravana is incredible. The different deep relationships the epic illustrates used to be the major highlight for me. I am however, excited to read in depth and take more out of it. I am sure there are some stories I have never heard and would like to know who Rama really is as most of my people back home look up to him and worship.

I think the picture below shows how Rama is holding Sita's hand. Also, Lakhsmana is there by Rama and Sita's side. This picture pretty much summarizes the beautiful relationship they shared.
Rama,Sita, and Laksmana
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Rama,_Sita,_Lakshmana.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how great that you know the story already, Shristi! I thought that you might! There is a saying about how "you never read the Ramayana for the first time" ... because everybody knows the story already, as you do! What's fascinating about teaching this class is that, for most students, this is the very first time ever that they have heard about Rama or Sita or Lakshmana or Hanuman. I am glad that they will get to hear about your insights as someone who has grown up with the story! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete