Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: PDE Ramayana


The story of Dashratha was quiet interesting. Dashratha not having any son to continue his royal thorne and then he went for a big horse scarification to get boons and have four sons was quiet extra ordinary. My favourite moment in the reading was when Rama and Lakshmana vows to protect Rita. The moment when Viswamitra gave those celestial weapons to Rama and he said  “When I have need of you, I will think of you, and then you will wait upon me.” from thataka gives me a sense of power. Those words makes oneself feel powered. The part where kaikeyi wanted her son Bharata to get the throne and make Rama leave the kingdom for 14 years was sad for me.
Rama breaks the Bow of Shiva
The breaking of the Bow of Janaka
Source: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Link to the Book: mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment