Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Storybook Favorites

The first one I looked at was Sits's Soul. Since we are going to be learning about Ramayana, the word Rama or Sita grabs my attention. The picture displayed looked kind of creepy like a haunted forest but I read the Introduction and changed my mind. It was actually pretty good as it talks about wisdom, hope, fear etc. I think it was inspiring. 

The second favorite is the Ganesha Tales for Children! Ganesha is my favorite one of the gods I worship. The fact that Shiva and Parvati are his parents and Parvati is hosting the story is really interesting. This would be a interesting read and the bright colorful picture of Ganesh on the front page is very appealing and attention grabbing. The stories about why Ganesha is the way he is very interesting. The fact that Ganesha helped in writing the epic Mahabarata was something I did not know and grabbed my attention while reading the introduction. Ganesha is great example of a perfect son and the fact that his mother is hosting the story is very interesting.


The last one I looked at was Powerful Women in Indian Epics. I believe in feminism and the title instantly grabbed my attention. The story talks about Kausalya, Sita and Draupati in the introduction. I liked the fact that this is presented in a way to give us a picture in our head where three of these ladies are having tea party. I do not think they used to have tea parties back in the day but it is a really nice way to keep the reader engaged so we can picture them having tea together. Sita is Rama’s beloved wife and Kaushalya is Rama’s wife. It also talks about Draupati and Kunti. It would be really nice to chat with these ladies in real life like this introduction talks about.

Here is a picture of goddess Laxmi from "Powerful Women in Indian Epics". She is worshipped in a lot of hindu communities and known as the goddess of wealth.

Godess Laxmi from Powerful Women in Epics

1 comment:

  1. Wow nice! It is great that you know a lot about Hinduism, which would definitely help you to succeed in this class comparing to someone who does not know anything, talking about myself here. The goddess Laxmi’s image is very interesting. I like the way she is dressed up and holding flowers. Now, I am looking forward to learn a lot about Hinduism in this course.

    ReplyDelete