Thursday, February 25, 2016

Week 6 Storytelling: When I was young

They called be the best of the best. My weapons skills were on point and no one could defeat me. I am Arjuna and I was standing there in the battle field of Mahabharata 40 years ago. I didn’t want to fight. I was not worried about losing, but about my family. I looked up straight and I could see my Kaurava brothers, laughing in joy. I could see my guru, my uncles and hundreds of my relatives. I loved them all and I in no means wanted to harm them. I felt weak and I was terrified. I had no life. There was no meaning to my life. I wanted to face them weaponless. To win this battle by killing all of these people I love is not a victory. I rather wanted to die and be killed.

I laid down on my chariot and the bow and arrow fell off from me. Seeing me in pain, Krishna came to me and asked me what was the issue. I told him about what I feel and the fact that I didn’t wanted to fight with my own. Krishna then told me that this was a fight that had to happen, it was a plan which god themselves made to teach the human kind a lesson. Krishna told me that this was a fight between the two bodies not the soul. We are made up of body and soul. The body dies but the soul never dies. It just jumps from one body to other.

He further explained me that this was the battle between good bodies versus the bad bodies. My weapons would kill the body but their soul would be free and then they will have a different life again. I was fighting against the bad and it didn’t matter who I was fighting with because I was not killing the soul I was just freeing all the bad that they caged themselves with so that they can start over their life being good. He also told me that I and he was made up of the same body and soul combination. Death would come sooner or later but the soul would never die and get a different form of body after this body leaves.

I stood up because it all made sense to me. I again looked up to the other side and saw the same relatives and my brothers in joy. But this time I saw that the joy they were having was the evil joy and I saw their happy soul trapped in the evil body of theirs. I wanted to get their soul a better home to stay, a better body. Their soul were begging me for freedom. I grabbed by bow and arrow, stood up and commanded Krishna to move forward in the battle field.




Arjuna and Krishna
Source: Link






Author’s Note:
For this week I am using the storytelling style: Character’s Grown Old. I think this would be a good story to retell form the grown up Arjuna’s side. I also think that this can be a perfect bedtime story for kids. The story reference comes from the chapter Bhagavad-Gita of the PDE Ramayana. On the midst of the battle field with all the armies lined up in two sides for Pandava and Kaurava. Arjuna looks into the enemy side of the battle field and gets in a big dilemma and sadness. His own family member is against him. He can win the battle, but his would be with cost of losing his family members. He would win but he would still lose the battle in life. So, Arjuna doesn’t want to battle. So Krishna persuades him to battle.


Bibliography:
Story title: Bhagavad Gita
Book title: PDE Mahabharata
Author: Donald A. Mackenzie

Year of publication: 1913

2 comments:

  1. Shristi, this was a really well written story and I enjoyed reading it. I definitely saw the parallels between your story and the chapter Bhagavad-Gita of the PDE Ramayana. I would've known what you were referencing even if you wouldn't have spelled it out in your author's note. Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shristi, you did such a wonderful job of explaining and expressing emotions. I could not imagine having to fight against your own family members and the people you love the most. You did a great job of going step by step process of emotion explaining all the things he was feeling. Thank you for sharing your story! It was so good!

    ReplyDelete